Friday, October 27, 2017

Winesap vs. Stayman Smackdown

At farmers market, careless vendors sometimes confuse these two varieties, which are thought to be related (Stayman, son of Winesap). But they are not the same.

How then does each stack up against the other?

Both are classically shaped red apples. Winesap (at left), still sometimes know as Winesop for its savory notes, has a blush that is less complete than Stayman's. Still, at its darkest the Winesap blush approaches a very similar hue.

Where the blush is more tentative, however, Winesap shows tan lenticels, and there are unblushed green regions on the apple.

My Stayman, also known as Stayman Winesap, is wider and blushes a darker, purpler red, with dramatic light lenticel spots. This is enlivened by traces of a light smokey bloom.

Stayman's peel is a little more satiny than that of shinier Winesap. It is the prettier apple.

But, it is Round 2 that counts the most: what's inside.

There, Winesap is crisp, with juicy flesh that is medium coarse, a very light yellow shot with green highlights.

The flavors are delicate and a little watery, but include that savory quality I noted in my review and for which this variety is no doubt named.

The peel is thick and chewy.

The inside of my Stayman is similar: a little whiter, more fine-grained and less juicy, but still crisp and refreshing.

Not as crisp as Winesap, however—or as fragile.

Stayman is more substantial, and an excellent keeper. I think it must be for these reasons that it is often judged the finer of the pair

The fruity flavors are a little more pronounced, and in addition to the savory note there is the whisper of some pear mixed with the ghost of vanilla.

These are also present in papa Winesap, though, along with some cidery goodness. I think the savory note is clearer in Winesap, too.

These apples are so similar that must be related. I rated them both with 2 stars.

But if I have to pick a winner, it is Winesap by the slimmest margin.

13 comments:

  1. How would you compare them for cooking? Stayman is top-notch for apple butter.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Beth,

      Alas, I don't evaluate apples for cooking (see my disclaimer).

      But of the two, Stayman is denser and would probably hold up better to baking.

      Delete
    2. My grandmother had an orchard of Stayman. They are referred to as cooking apples. They are firm, tart, and juicy. The flesh is white. They are great for baking. A true Stayman is hard to find as growers now have crossed them with the Winesap which is a different apple. Stayman do not get soft and mushy in pies and cakes or even pancakes. They are tender and firm. Nothing beats them in cooking. Eating them right off the tree is refreshing because of their juicyness.

      Delete
    3. I agree! I have always liked the Stayman for my Apple pies!
      They’re hard to find unless you go to an Apple orchard.

      Delete
    4. I agree! I have always preferred Stayman for my Apple pies. They are hard to find unless you go to an Apple orchard.

      Delete
  2. I remember loving winesaps as a kid. Haven't seen them in years. Any way I can buy some online to be shipped to Chicago?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello thoughts: Alas, I do not grow them, let alone ship them. But I hope you can find some!

      Delete
  3. Hey Adam- I ordered 18 of winesap and 18 of Stayman from honeycrisp.com. I have sampled one of each and liked one better than the other but in looking at the apples, I am wondering if I didn't just get two mixed boxes. In the box marked winesap,there are many with the little white dots. I like the one from the stayman box better, it tastes richer and more complex...actually more like wine than the winesap. Wonder if it's truly a stayman!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Every year for my birthday I go to local orchard for a half peck of Staymans. Best gift ever!

    ReplyDelete
  5. First of all - love the blog, Adam.

    Here in southeast TN/north GA, I can't wait for fall to arrive so I can find what is labeled as "Stayman Winesap". A large, popular local orchard grows some and calls them that. They match what you describe as Winesap in both looks and taste. So, I'm confused as to what they REALLY are. Whatever they are, they are definitely some of my favorite apples.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. @Cris,they are similar, but also (I suggest) distinctive. As you say, the main thing is to eat them, whatever they are called!

      Delete

Join the conversation! We'd love to know what you think.